Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Amazing Mexican (not smothered in cheese and stodgy!)

I've been reading some past copies of Delicious magazine and came across this recipe by Jill Dupleix.  I thought it sounded like a nice change from the stodgy Mexican that all seems to taste the same and makes you feel so full!  I've avoided Mexican restaurants for a few years now but thought this recipe sounded like it was worth a go. I can tell you this was fantastic!!  The flavours were amazing, so fresh with a bit of tang and It was the tastiest, yummiest lunch.  This one is a keeper and is so easy too. 


For the tortillas I used Mission Brand Hi Fibre as they have the lowest carbs and calories of the range I looked at in the supermarket.

You could make this recipe with a lower fat content by using a bit less avocado but I wasn't too worried about it.  I always use Josephine's reduced fat Danish style feta, as it's really creamy but low in fat.

I also used double the amount of pumpkin, as pumpkin tends to shrink a bit when roasted and the amount was perfect.   I also used cherry tomatoes instead of roma as in the original recipe


Using my adaption this this recipe had around 495 calories per serve.
Roast Vegetable Tostadas

Ingredients: (Serves 4)

400g butternut or Kent/Jap pumpkin, sliced
approx 12 cherry tomatoes
2 red onions, cut into wedges
4 tbs olive oil
4 corn or flour tortillas
1 tbs finely chopped Jalapeno chillis and 1 tbs of the pickling brine
1 tbs lime juice plus extra to serve
125g can red kidney beans rinsed and drained
1 avocado, chopped
100g feta, crumbled
Mexican chilli salsa (approx 1 tbs per tortilla or to taste)
Coriander sprigs

Preheat oven to 180º and line a large baking sheet with baking paper.  Place the pumpkin, tomato and onion on the tray and drizzle with a little olive oil then sprinkle with sea salt and coarsley ground black pepper to taste.  Bake for around 40 mins or until vegetables are soft and lightly charred. Cool.

Wrap the tortillas loosely in foil and warm in the oven for 3 mins.
Meanwhile, whisk the chopped jalapenos, brine, lime juice and remaining olive oil in a bowl and season to taste.  Add the kidney beans and the avocado and mix gently to combine.

To serve, scatter avocado salad over warmed tortillas and top with roast vegetables, feta and salsa.  Garnish with coriander and an extra squeeze of lime. 

Let me know if you enjoy this as much as I did!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails